And it was all human error.
I had been sitting on the sofa with Oliver and he went over and sat on the pillow where my husband usually sits. My husband came into the room and since we had an incident yesterday when he tried to move him off the pillow, we had a plan of action ready. He came over to him from the side and actually presented himself from the back all the while giving him treats. I also gave him some treats and he came over to my side of the sofa. My husband was able to sit down while he was with me and all was well. BUT for some reason, my husband got up to get something and he took the pillow with him (later stating so that Oliver didn't get back on it). When he came back, carrying the pillow, Oliver started barking and jumping around all agitated. My husband had left his laptop sitting precariously on the arm of the sofa and Oliver knocked it over. My husband reached for it with the hand that was holding the pillow. Oliver went so far over the top that I thought he would explode. Very understandable. I have to wonder what on earth has happened to this puppy. He didn't bite anyone but I imagine if there had been someone near enough, he might have.
The good news is that I was able to give him treats and calm him right away. He never redirected towards me and I realized pretty quickly that what he really seemed to want was for me to reassure him. He really responded to my soothing and holding and petting him.
I took him outside and let him just decompress. Unfortunately, there was the garbage truck making all kids of noise out front right after we went out but he came over to me and took treats. It seemed he was seeking my reassurance. Not sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment